Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Depression and Cleaning

This interesting little nugget popped up on the Seattle Times today. And how could I NOT read it?

6 Ways To Clean House When You’re Depressed

Um…. this is the way I clean all the time. My mama taught me to clean shit up when you spill it, depressed or not. Not everyone does it like this?

Actually, you don’t have to answer that. I’ve cleaned houses before – no, not everyone does it like this.

I was taught to clean as I go and not wait to do it. That’s maybe the best advice my mother ever gave me (that, and “Don’t show your dad your new tattoo just yet!”) It makes cooking much easier if you clean as you go, and you don’t have to spend a whole weekend on a cleaning bender if you just do a little at a time, each day. Cleaning is my alone time, and my productive time and my selfish time. And I get to do it exactly how I want it done. It’s how I prepare to go to bed and it’s how I burn off energy. Some people exercise, I clean.

Yet, somehow, I think if someone is extremely depressed (I’m only “clinically”, not “extremely”), this task list may still be too daunting. I know I’ve had those days where nothin’ gets done and I am a-okay with that. When you’re in that icky frame of mind, a clean and tidy house is the least of your concerns.

You’re just wondering how you’re going to get through the day without smothering yourself with your own pillow, ya know?

Maybe you don’t. Good for you.

No comments: